Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Marley and Me, Week 2, Post B

Dear Mr. Grogan,

As far as I have read in your memoir, I have enjoyed every page of it. I too am a dog fanatic and can identify with the situations that arise from having a dog. It is interesting how in several parts you write in italics to convey your inner thoughts, without ever saying “I thought…”. I think it adds a unique flair to your writing, it’s a distinct style. But I’m just wondering why you chose to write a memoir about you and your dog. I can see that you love your dog, but what kind of dog owner doesn’t? Currently I’m just over one third of the way through your novel, and Marley seems like a fairly normal dog (well except for his bottomless pit of energy). Also, except for the element of dogs being present in the novel, there is nothing I truly feel emotionally attached to. The portion of your life that is in this memoir has been fairly meaningless so far, no truly significant events have happened. Obviously there is the miscarriage of you and your wife’s first child, but the effects of this terrible incident only seem to be present for a couple of pages after you find out. Past this one significant event that I remember, it’s a fairly dry plot. I mean you get Marley, he’s a Labrador with a lot of energy, and he gets into trouble; it seems to be a repetitive theme through each chapter that he gets into trouble with someone or damages some kind of property. As of right now I feel the novel has been more about the facts of dogs than your life. None of the events have really tugged at my heart strings yet. Perhaps I shall read on to discover what happens…

Sincerely,Rachel

No comments: