Monday, February 11, 2008

Water for Elephants, Week 1, Post B

Dear Mr. Jacob Jankowski,
I have just read the first fifty pages of Water for Elephants and I am truly enjoying reading about your life story. I am so sorry about all of the losses and grief you have had to endure in your life. First of all, living through the Great Depression must have been an experience that truly tested people’s hearts. Did it ever register in your mind what was happening because you were quite young at the time? How was your family and school life changed during the depression? It would be really interesting to know how your family was affected by it, but I’m sure that would take an entirely new novel to describe. Secondly, the death of your parents must have turned your world upside down. I send my greatest sympathies to you because that should be an experience no teenager has to live through. Will you ever be able to forgive Mr. McPherson for the death of your parents? If I was in your situation, it would be extremely hard for me to forgive a person for the unintentional death of my parents because my family is very close and I also hold grudges for a long time. I continue to be amazed at how you were able to move on with your life with such composure, though I’m sure they are never far out of your mind. Well, I will move on to some happier thoughts now! The Benzini Brothers Circus sounds like an exciting show to be involved in. I think it would be an amazing experience to be a part of the circus and have contact with so many unique people, whether it’s the trainers, performers, crew, or even the animals. I wish you the best of luck in the circus business, or whatever dream you wish to pursue!
Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: