Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Water for Elephants, Week 2, Post B

Dear Ms. Sara Gruen,
I am currently reading your novel “Water for Elephants” and I absolutely love it! The careful details you put into each character make each one extremely unique. I like how you let the reader imagine how the character looks physically, except for a few features you mention, but truly allow the character to emerge in the actions and conversations it has. My favorite character is Jacob because his life is really detailed throughout the novel. It’s also really interesting the flashbacks Jacob has because each chapter alternates between his ninety-year-old self and his twenty-year-old self. It’s also really true that I have pity for him considering he lost both of his parents at such a crucial time in his young life (I have to say, you know just how to pull the readers’ heart strings!) Was Jacob’s character inspired by someone in your life? Did you ever go through any of Jacob’s experiences? How did you decide to write about a traveling circus? Were circuses a special occasion for you as a young child, or did your family members take part in a circus somehow? So far, my favorite part of the novel was when Jacob and Kinko become roommates on the train because the tension between the two of them was so apparent, just with their actions. I really enjoyed how you described how both Jacob and Kinko reacted during that part because you didn’t just say “Jacob was mad” or “Kinko threw his comic book,” the details you put in were fantastic. I absolutely cannot wait to read more of this novel, it really keeps me intrigued!

Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: