Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Week 3, Post B

Dear Miss Lily,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin, Beautiful Moon. Her death was so sudden and shocking that it is difficult for anyone to grasp what happened in just a few short minutes. I hope you have some comfort in knowing that she passed quietly and quickly. Not only am I surprised at how you handled yourself at her death, but I am absolutely shocked how your aunt was able to remain composed and never shed a tear during in front of you during your mourning. Snow Flower’s willingness to help during this time of loss seemed so helpful and reassuring to you and your family. On a lighter note, I am curious as to what you define the Yao nationality as, because I have learned a lot about different cultures and religions this year in my history class. I also found your quote “There is no life without death,” (99) really interesting because it is such a perplexing statement. I like it because it conveys the idea that no one will live forever, which makes our time alive that much more special. I also would like to congratulate you on your recent wedding! I can’t believe that you were able to go ten days without eating a substantial amount of food, I barely went seven hours without eating today and I was really hungry already! Your husband and new family seem so welcoming, I hope you share many wonderful memories together.
Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: