Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Week 4, Post B

Dear Miss Lily,
Was it really strange to have a servant, Yongang, following you around after you were married? How did her presence make you feel? Did you feel like you were of a completely different social class or did you think of her more as an acquaintance? At first it would be nice to have someone following me around, but after awhile I would get annoyed at that person because they would be with me all of the time and I like to do things on my own once in awhile too. I find it fascinating that when you arrived at Snow Flower’s house, you didn’t even have to knock to announce your arrival, you simply walked in. This is a strange idea to me because here in my city, the doors of houses are always locked and we have to ring a doorbell, or there are houses that have security systems that attempt to ward off intruders. This unique custom symbolizes that there is a more trusting and welcoming air about China, especially the city of Tongkou. How did you feel once you realized Snow Flower had lied to you about her house? Do you think Snow Flower was ashamed of telling you about her imperfect life and chose to make up lies about it instead? If this ever happened to me, I would at first be absolutely enraged at the person for lying to me, because I would rather hear the bad truth than the good lie. However, if I were to have a close relationship with the person, like you and Snow Flower do, I would begin to feel sorry for them for having to feel like they needed to live up to certain standards to please me. I don’t care how people live, or how rich they are, I just want to know that I have a friend who accepts themselves and me.
Sincerely, Rachel

No comments: