Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Week 7, Post B

Dear Miss Lily,
I am sorry you have lost so many important people in your life and that you had a poor, boring life after they died. I agree with you, and that a person should live a shorter, happier life than a long life that is filled with sadness. After all, what fun is it to live if you don’t have any friends or family to share the fun memories with? I really enjoyed following your relationship with Snow Flower throughout the entire novel. I liked seeing how you were both young and innocent as children, grew to love each other, shared hardships, and then returned to having a good relationship again. It was nice to see your relationship come full circle, even if you felt unsatisfied with the way you treated Snow Flower at the end of her life. How did you feel when Snow Flower told you, “Why should I trouble you with things you cannot change?” ? Did you think she was nice for not telling you her hardships and making you worry about them too, or were you angry at her for hiding her feelings and keeping the pain held inside of her? How did you feel when you realized Lotus had brought the secret fan to you house? I strongly disagree with the manner in which you attempted to release your angers. It is extremely unhealthy for anyone to keep their angers held inside of them. I realize that women in nineteenth century China needed to be strong and obedient to their husbands, but if I were in your situation, I would have talked to someone or written down my problems instead of trying to cover them up with ink because it just temporarily fixes the problem. How could you have been so cruel to Snow Flower and used the secrets she shared with you in such confidence, against her? Well I am truly sorry for the losses you endured in your life and I hope the rest of this life and your next life will be filled with happy memories.
Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: