Tuesday, November 27, 2007

House Lights, Week 3, Post B

Dear Miss Beatrice Fisher-Hart,
I have taken pleasure in reading about your life, yet again. It is obvious that you have matured, even within the first one hundred pages. But I still think you are a bit naïve for being twenty years old. Do you really believe that just because your father is revered throughout the medical world that he could not have had any accusations against him? Maybe it’s because it’s too hard for you to accept that everyone makes mistakes, even your father. I think you should really listen to what your grandmother told you, “People are full of contradiction, of paradox. You are. I am” (69). You should understand that people are act or say things that could be against their true moral values; you should try to accept or at least understand this idea. Anyways, I can’t even fathom what conflicts could be running through your mind at this point! I would be utterly confused if my mom stood by my father and I had no contact with my grandmother because of it. I really commend you for attempting to gain a relationship with your grandmother, it helps to have an older, wiser person in your life who is able to see the broader picture. Also, I am wondering at what point did you, well rather the author, write this novel about yourself? I found it quite interesting that you mention that now you have a vantage point of twenty years later. You seem to be writing events as they happened, yet it’s still in the past tense. I am curious to see if you will reflect upon portions of your life, because earlier this year I read the novel “Black Boy” by Richard Wright, in which he reflected upon events throughout each chapter! I can’t wait to continue learning about your life!
Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: