Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Water for Elephants, Week 4, Post B

Dear Mr. Jacob Jankowski,
I am continually amazed at the experiences you faced while being a worker in the circus. You are always in an interesting situation which keeps me intrigued in your story! The part where you and Marlena were caught in the middle of a raid were particularly interesting to me. I would have been scared stiff if I was in this situation and would not have been thinking clearly. However, you seemed to be quite cool headed as you and Marlena raced out which amazed me. Were you trying to hide your true emotions so you wouldn’t let Marlena know how frightened you were of being caught? I’m also confused as to why Walter suddenly opened up to you so quickly after being hostile for so long, I assume it had to do with you curing Queenie. In addition, I thought it was very brave and noble to you to want to sit at Walter’s table, when all of the other workers were segregated in their respective areas. Truly, you were just a step ahead of your time because you wanted to mix with people of another social stature, which I commend you for. It is not acceptable to be so foreboding to people of another class, after all, we are all people who live and breathe together. Anyways, August seems like a daunting character who always wants to put other people down, yet I am again amazed at the way you are able to keep your composure around him and not lash out. I also feel a strong connection to you for your respect for and love of animals. I have loved animals since I was younger and support your quote that, “This animals isn’t stupid” (163), when you speak of Rosie. I agree that animals should not be treated poorly just because they can’t speak our language. I can’t wait to continue reading about your life, it’s a true page turner!
Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: