Monday, March 10, 2008

Water for Elephants, Week 5, Post B

Dear Mr. Jacob Jankowski,
The novel about your life is so engaging, I didn’t know a novel about a circus could be so interesting! Well, once again you have been faced with difficult hardships you must learn to deal with and overcome. The challenge of having Camel ride in your car while trying to keep him hidden and comfortable is an incredible feat you dared to take on. Honestly, I would have been too afraid of being caught with such an ill man, but I’m glad you stuck to your friendship with Camel. I also enjoy seeing the relationship between you and Walter develop, it appears as a friendship now instead of resentfully having to sleep in the same room. At first I was unsure what to think of Uncle Al, but now my mind has been well set on what a horrible man he is. I cannot believe that he bribed the circus employees just to appear mournful while being in Lucinda’s procession, so he could rally people to come see the show. That, to me, is a prime example of a con man who is willing to use any bad situation, such as a death, to his advantage. Also, August’s mistreatment of Rosie irritated me because no animal should have to endure the torture August inflicted upon her. And Rosie is such a smart elephant, how could he be so cruel? Honestly, the things people do for revenge and money are disgusting. Onto a happier topic, I was wondering why you refer to your visitors as “my people” instead of their actual family relation to each other? This makes you seem distanced and secluded from family events. I’m looking forward to see how your relationship with Marlena turns out!

Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: